Instructions for logging on to the portal for the first time:
What is my Portal ID (also called “user name”)?
Your portal ID/user name is the first initial of your first name, followed by your last name and the 2 digits of your incoming year. For example, Joe Student’s portal ID/user name would be jstudent12. If there are two students with the same first initial and last name, the portal ID/user name would include a middle initial (jmstudent12). If there are duplicate names but no middle name, numbers or the letter “x” will be used (jstudent212 or jxstudent12.) If your portal ID/user name will use a middle initial or number, we will contact you individually. You cannot change your portal ID/user name unless you have a name change processed through the Registrar’s Office.
What is my temporary password?
Your temporary password is “st + the last four digits of your social security number + @nyls” (for example, st1234@nyls.)
How do I log in to the portal for the first time?
BEFORE logging in for the first time, all portal users must establish security questions and change their temporary password to a new one. Please follow these steps:
- Go to the portal log-in page, go.nyls.edu
- Click on the link called “To reset/change your password or manage your password security”. A pop-up box will ask for your username and password. Enter your user name and temporary password, as described above.
- Click on the “Manage Verification Data” tab, establish your security questions, and click Update.
- Click on the “Change Password” tab and establish a new password. Passwords must be a minimum of 8 characters and contain at least one of each of the following: a capital letter, a number, and a special character ($, #, @, &, *, %...).
- Close the window and you should return to the portal log-in page. If you don’t return to the log-in page, return to go.nyls.edu. You can then log in with your user name and new password.